lundi 29 juin 2015

C3 Repo Dash, Don't do it unless you have to

I just replaced the Dash in my 1980 C3. Interior color is Claret (maroon). All in all, the new dash looks great installed in my car. My concern is how long is it going to last.

I bought the replacement dash from Corvette America. First, let me state that I am not going to bash Corvette America because I think they are a great company and for the most part I like doing business with them and will continue to do so.

The replacement dash is not near the quality of the original. The color is close, but not that close so nothing matches to my liking. I purchased a can of the "matching" dye as well and let me tell you that the color is so far off that I cannot use it. Looks exactly the same as Red oxide primer, certainly not a deep maroon. I am going to get a mix locally at an automotive paint store in town.

Nothing is marked as far as hole locations and nothing really fits right. I spent an hour each on getting the side AC vents to fit as well as glove box, instrument panel and speedo/tach panel. All that is to be expected with repo parts but really? Can't they at least mark where the holes should be?

My biggest complaint is that the plastic is so cheap that it does not hold screws very well and in some cases won't tighten up at all.. And yes I do know what size hole to drill for a #6 screw. If you have to take things back apart, which in my case I will always have to do that, then you are in trouble. I am so tired of plastic crap, or at least poor quality plastic crap. I would gladly pay double maybe even triple for quality parts or at least the option to do so. Why can't they make the plastic boss's where screws go in thicker? Or better yet mold some type of nut in there? Has to be a way to make it better.

If I had to do it over again I would keep the original dash and find someone who could restore it. My opinion.....


C3 Repo Dash, Don't do it unless you have to

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire